Thursday, September 17, 2009

15 minute gift box - My very first tutorial

Welcome to my very first tutorial. I call it the 15-minute box because that's about how long it takes to make. I made this for the Elegant Post blog hop awhile back and I finally found my way to writing my first tutorial.

For the box, you will need the following:
  • sturdy 8.5" x 11"carstocks (I used GinaK's Green Apple and Rocket Red)
  • a scoring tool (I used ScorPal, but an old fashioned ruler and the back of a knife will do)
  • a paper trimmer
  • a clear box (I used GinaK's large size)
  • strong adhesive (Scor tape is the best, unfortunately I didn't have it when I made the tutorial, where I used plain glue)
  • decorative punches or scissors (optional)
  • 24" ribbon
Take a letter size cardstock paper and cut 2.5 inches lengthwise. Score at 4.5" and then at 6.5" marks as shown below.

While still flat, cut the clear box in half, then assemble.


This step is optional, but it adds a nice touch to the box. Using a border punch or decorative scissors, decorate and cut 2 strips of cardstock and attach on each side of the box body.

Align and adhere the clear boxes, one each side as shown below.

And here's the box upright, ready to be decorated. I attach the ribbon on the back with a couple of Glue Dots to keep it in place.


And here's the finished project. I can fit 10 embellished cards (they're not flat) comfortably in this box with envelopes. You can see the individual cards in this box HERE.

I've made several boxes this summer. It's just an easy, elegant way to box a set of handmade cards. Here are some samples I made. Click on the picture for a closer view.





Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Awesome project! thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous work on your first tutorial!! The directions are great and I love the idea. I can't wait to give one of these a try!! Blessings and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project Nina - need to get me some of those clear boxes from Gina!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one creative and inspiring project. Thanks for a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome, Nina!! Thank you for showing the great tutorial and gorgeous creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Nina!! These are sooo GORGEOUSly decorated, and I love the whole idea of them. Thanks for sharing your wonderful tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nina, beautiful work! I am looking for different ways to gift cards/notecards. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    Alma =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nina - what another clever use of those gifts boxes...I just got some actually - thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a neat idea Nina! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet great idea! a must try for me. Thanks for the tutorial. I also love your calendar tutorial, I'm getting the idea now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails